Clear all

Challenge Match GB v Australia 12 November 1975

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Stephen Parker
Topic starter
(@stephenparker)

Is this match now classed as a full test cap for the players involved?

2 Replies
Stephen Parker
Topic starter
(@stephenparker)

Apologies this was of course England v Australia

Neil Ormston
Admin
(@neilormston)

Hi Stephen

Apologies for a very belated reply!!  I'm not in the habit of checking the forum, but recently re-discovered it, so here we are...

The England V. Australia match has been classified as a Full International by International Rugby League in their work on recognised senior international matches.  I represented the RKC on their History and Heritage Group, and we were heavily involved in the work here.  A few relevant points to make: IRL has deliberately shied away from the 'test' term, which is neither defined anywhere, nor used consistently by the nations who do use; it's also a term which is not used by many of the nations now playing RL (it was a voyage of discovery for me, as like it is for many I speak to, this came as something of a surprise!).  Also, IRL have been clear throughout this work that only the national governing bodies can decide what to do about caps; the position on these seems somewhat confused in terms of what was ever physically awarded, and indeed from an RFL point of view how they define the status of matches.  I am in the process of pulling something together to present to them to hopefully align with what the RKC has done with IRL, so that we can bring clarity on the grey areas (in truth there's only a handful of games that fall into this category - including this one, and the 1975 PNG one that's also discussed on this forum! - but they're the commonly asked about ones, and always get this long convoluted answer 🙂 ); England Heritage Numbers only add to the confusion here, so it would be great to align with the RFL and bring a definitive conclusion to this.

Hope that helps!

Neil

Share: